The Get Engaged program is an innovative program from the City of Seattle and the Metrocenter YMCA. We place emerging leaders on 15 different public boards and commissions each year and support their development of leadership competencies. In order to apply, please complete the application at: http://getengaged.wufoo.com/forms/get-engaged-20132014-application/
APPLICATION CYCLE for Get Engaged 2013-2014
May 13, 2013 at 6pm: Information session with current Get Engaged board members @ Metrocenter YMCA Triangle Art Gallery. Please email email@example.com if you plan to attend.
May 19, 2013 at 5 PM: EXTENDED APPLICATION DEADLINE
June 2013- July 2013: Applicant interviews
August 2013: Get Engaged members are selected for the 2013-2014 class
September 2013- August 2014: Get Engaged members serve their 1-year term of public service and participate in program meetings and activities
September 2014 and beyond: Many of our alumni go on to serve an additional 2-year term (or more) with their Boards/Commissions.
Applying for Get Engaged:
- Review ELIGIBILITY, PREPARING TO APPLY and COMMITMENT information below.
- The application for Get Engaged 2013 – 2014 is currently online. Submit your completed application, resume, and a cover letter for each board/commission you are applying for here by May 14 at 5pm.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Lily Berticevich at (267) 600- 2502 with questions or for assistance with your application.
For the 2013-2014 program, applicants must be 18-29 years old on September 1, 2013. Applicants must be Seattle residents.
PREPARING TO APPLY:
Get Engaged members are selected through a highly competitive application process. Before applying:
- It is highly recommended that you familiarize yourself with the committees, priorities and/or work plans of the boards you’re interested in. Read a brief summary of the Boards and Commissions here, and find more detailed information through Seattle’s Boards and Commissions web page.
- The Get Engaged program and the City of Seattle suggest that all applicants attend at least one meeting of the board(s) for which they are applying. Meeting times vary.
1. Board commitment: Get Engaged participants are appointed to serve a 1-year term (September 2013 – August 2014) as a full voting member on a participating City Board or Commission. Get Engaged members agree to attend regularly scheduled board meetings and contribute at least 6-10 hours each month to committee meetings. Note that the Design Commission, Landmarks, Planning and Pioneer Square Boards often require more time commitment than other participating Boards.
2. Get Engaged commitment: In addition to board service, Get Engaged participants:
- Meet with the Get Engaged team once a month for skill-building, current issue discussions, and an opportunity to reflect on the experience. Attendance is expected at the monthly Get Engaged meetings. Only two meetings may be missed during the Get Engaged term.
- Post on PugetSoundOff.org after each Board meeting. Puget SoundOff is a City-funded social platform created to enhance interaction between Seattle youth and government.
- Participate in at least one youth-focused YMCA program during the year (i.e. speak to a group of interns about your board experience, facilitate a workshop, etc.).
The Get Engaged program is designed to increase youth engagement within Seattle. Get Engaged commissioners have an opportunity to further expand youth participation by sharing their experiences and developing conversations through Puget SoundOff and other supportive programming.